By Ann Marie Chechalk
If you are a fair junkee you might have already been surfing the internet and reading up on the fair classes on line. Maybe you exhibit at several local fairs so when it is cold and snowy you begin to make a list of what you want to enter. Or maybe you scramble at the last minute and find some flowers and veggies that match the classes. And you say next year I am going to be prepared. It is so much fun to go to the fair and see how your entries did. Maybe it is your petunias or your chocolate chip cookies or maybe a prize winning Carrot Cake. This year there is a rumour going around that people are already practicing their Angel Food Cake baking. Back after a hiatus is the 2017 Ontario Egg Producers FANTASTIC Angel Food Cake Contest and here are the rules:
1. Open to any individual who is an Ontario resident. One entry per Exhibitor. Exhibitor fee for the WNAS must be paid to enter.
2. Entry must be an Angel Food Cake made from 'scratch'.
3. Ontario produced and packed eggs are requested to be used if at all possible.
4. Refrigeration is not guaranteed at the Fair. Entries must be dropped off on Wed. Sept 6, and will be judged on Thursday morning.
5. Cake Entries must be submitted for judging on cardboard. All pans, plates and dishes are considered to be disposable and will not be returned.
6. Include Recipe with the entry. All recipes and cakes will become the property of the Fair and will not be returned.
7. Judging will be based on the following criteria:
Flavour (smell, taste, flavouring) 30 points
Inside Characteristics (texture & lightness) 25 points
Overall Appearance (surface, size, colour) 20 points
Creativity 15 points
Topping, Icing or Decoration 10 points
Prizes sponsored by the Ontario Egg Producers: 1st = $100 2nd=$90 3rd=$80
There is more exciting news from the West Niagara Fair. New fun is being added every day to the fall event. All the local schools will be invited for a Spelling Bee on the Friday of fair week. Students from grade four and five will be asked to form teams with one team from each school. A trophy will be donated by Ivan Carruthers along with a donation to the winning school of $150.00.
A new skid art class sponsored by Niagara Pallet should be very interesting as there are lots of ideas circulating on pinterest. Word is the prize money will be very enticing.
For the kids, get your zucchini seeds ready. Fifteen dollars for the largest zucchini. And we know how those zucchini like to grow.
If you can’t wait till Fall then come to the Fairgrounds 7402 Mud St W, West Lincoln, ON L0R 1M0, Canada for Junk in the Trunk. VENDORS!!! $10 for a 12 foot space. Set up is from 7am to 8am. For more information or to book a space, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 905-309-9939. SHOPPERS!!! $2 admission for each car that comes to shop. Open from 8am to 2pm. Some food and snacks will be on site. NO ATM on location, please bring cash to purchase your treasures.
Watch this newspaper for more exciting news from the West Niagara Fair. To find out about more classes go to www.westniagarafair.ca